Sunday 2 September 2012

UK, London: Sal and Bike, Nov 1973


"Sterndale Road, Nov 73"
Forse Question: where/what is Sterndale Road??
I picked up this bike at the very fancy BMW Concessionaires on Hyde Park corner, just a short time before the above picture. (it's still there and just as fancy). When I bowled into the fancy shop, the guy handed me the key (a weird rod-like push-in near the headlight jobbie), and asked me
"Sir, have you ridden a bike before?".
I'm not sure why he asked me that; something about my shabby clothes; my youthful demeanor?
"Of course I have", I said, "no worries".
Of course I'd ridden a bike: a Honda 50cc step-thru with auto gearchange.
What I'd forgotten in my excitement to mount this lovely red beast, had shaft drive, unlike nearly all other bikes, including my miniscule Honda, which have a chain drive.  A shaft drive means torque.
I hopped on the bike, shoved the key in the headlight, turned on the ignition and gunned the engine.
The bike promptly twisted sharply and fell on its left side with the torque, throwing me to the shining floor of the BMW showroom.  The man helped me up; lifted the bike to its feet and asked again:
"Sir, are you sure you've ridden a bike before?"
"Whipps X. Nov 73" 
Accident & Emergency course, East End
Another Whipps X photo, Sal sent
on 13 September '12
"Hyde Park, Nov 73"
Sal and Teik Hornsey Lane, Nov 73. Sal has written on the back:
"another reason for Alf to take a picture of the bike"
Then again, who needs an excuse to take a pic
of this beautiful machine that I still dream about

Teik and Forse

Sal on the Honda 50 step thru' that I had before the BMW
And here modelling the beauties in Hyde Park